Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blog: 10/28/09. Glengarry Glen Ross

Question 2: Discuss Mamet's use of profanity in the play. Is there a reason for it, or is it merely gratuitous?

When I read plays (or novels) or watch movies I tend to be picky about the content. It’s not that I am easily offended to nudity or language – I never get offended – I’m just a believer that one does not need to “over-use” adult content in movies to make it good. For example: I love scary/horror films but just because a film tries its best to gross me out with an extreme amount of gore doesn’t make it a good film for me.

I feel the same way about language. Oddly enough: Glengarry Glen Ross (which I will refer to in the blog as “GGR” because, at the moment, I’m a lazy typist) did not annoy me with its use of profanity. I do not think it was used gratuitously – I do believe there was a purpose to it.
Like the movie The Departed (directed by Scorsese) I liked the language (profanity too) because I thought it accurately depicted the lifestyle in Boston. “GGR” uses its profanity well because it also fits the location (Chicago). The play was written in 1982, so I picture Chicago in the early ‘80s – and when a bunch of salesmen (especially men) get together to talk or when they especially get angry, I visualize (well hear) a lot of profanity being used.

I feel like the characters in “GGR” curse to show their anger but to also appear superior to the other men. My favorite scene (which was done really well with the movie) is when Levene talks down to Williamson after he ruins Roma’s deal with Lingk. A lot of profanity is used – whether it’s cursing at Williamson or calling him names.
Profanity is used a lot out of anger – when Roma finds out that their jobsite has been robbed, he curses continuously in his demand to know if the contracts were stolen.
For the most part I think Mamet used profanity (not just to show the men’s anger) but to use it to allow the men (who do curse) feel superior (or to make the other person they’re cursing at feel inferior).

No comments:

Post a Comment